- Hollis Johnson/Business Insider
- You can share audio on iOS 13 to share what you’re listening to with others, but there are a few conditions that need to be met.
- Both you and the person you want to share with need to have an iPhone 8 or later, and either AirPods or compatible Beats headphones.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Have you ever gone for a run with a friend and wished you could listen to the same music at the same time? Ever been watching a show with someone on your phone and wish you didn’t have to each share one headphone?
Thanks to a new feature called audio sharing in iOS 13, you and a friend can share audio between two devices. The bad news is that this feature comes with a lot of caveats.
First of all, to use this, you’ll both need to have an iPhone 8 or newer. Secondly, it only works if both you and your friend’s phones are connected to either AirPods or certain compatible Beats headphones.
Here are all the Beats versions that work with audio sharing:
- Solo Pro
- Powerbeats Pro
- Beats Solo3 Wireless
- Beats Studio3 Wireless
Here’s what you need to know about how to use audio sharing in iOS 13.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
How to share audio on an iPhone running iOS 13
2. If your friend has AirPods, have them bring the open charging case, with the AirPods in them, close to your iPhone.
- If your friend has Beats, have them hold the power button down for less than a second, then bring your iPhone close to their headphones.
3. A box will pop up on your iPhone’s screen with a picture of your friend’s device on it. Tap “Temporarily share music” to connect to your friend’s AirPods and share music.